We are searching for two early career research stars
Provided in partnership with NICM, the scholarships will support two PhD students over three years.
PhD candidates can apply online until Monday 26 November for:
• NICM and Blackmores Institute Scholarship: PhD scholarship in mental health; and
• NICM and Blackmores Institute Scholarship: PhD scholarship in the management of osteoarthritis.
“Opportunities like this can be life changing for those at the start of their research career. NICM is a world-class research institute with an ERA5 rating so provides an excellent opportunity for motivated researchers to progress their career within a high-quality centre. I strongly encourage those with a passion for complementary and integrative medicine, and an interest in the PhD fields to apply for the candidature”. Said Blackmores Institute Director Dr Lesley Braun
NICM Director Professor Alan Bensoussan says, “Providing outstanding Higher Degree Research training and education is essential for Australia’s competitiveness in research and innovation.”
“Our students develop outstanding research skills and gain an interdisciplinary perspective that prepares them for an ever-changing research and professional environment.”
“These scholarships play an important role in supporting Australia’s next generation of world-class researchers and build upon the evidence-base in these fields to better inform and guide clinicians, health professionals and Australians.”
Successful applicants will receive:
• Domestic candidates will receive a tax-free stipend of $35,000 per annum for up to three years and a funded place in a doctoral degree.
• If the successful applicant is in receipt of a Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend, they will receive an additional $10,000 top-up scholarship.
• Additional funding of up to $50,000 over three years to conduct the research, including costs for implementation of the project, conference presentations and travel, equipment, and open access publication.
• Benefits and allowances including a thesis production allowance, a relocation allowance, three months extended sick leave and three months parental leave.
This is the second year that Blackmores Institute has supported Higher Degree Research students at NICM in this capacity.
2016 Scholarship recipient and PhD candidate, Saumya Perera said:
“Without the financial support of the scholarship, my PhD would not have been possible. It has assisted me greatly in being able to proceed with my career goals and interest in pharmacology and I highly encourage others to apply for the 2017 scholarships.”
Applications for this year’s candidates close on November 26, further information can be accessed at